The weather up here in Minnesota has been fantastic these past few days. Unseasonably fantastic. Frighteningly fantastic. Frankly, we’re skeptical it’ll last (remember, the only month there hasn’t been officially recorded snow in Minnesota is July, though there have been several claims of flakes on the 4th). Whatever the weather’s going to do next, right now it’s perfect for grilling. And what’s better, you might ask, for grilling than jerk chicken? As far as we’re concerned, nothing. It’s quick, it’s easy, and it’s oh, so tasty.
But you didn’t plan ahead, you say. You forgot to put the bird in the bag last night. How possibly can you enjoy the tantalizing tang of the islands on short notice? Have no fear:
Joel’s Quick And Easy Jerk Chicken Grill
- Put your chicken in a plastic bag. Fresh or frozen, it doesn’t matter (if you’re using frozen chicken breasts, go ahead and put them and let them thaw in the bag with the marinade).
- Add Judo Joel’s Asian-Infused Jamaican Jerk Marinade.
- Squeeze the air out and seal the bag (this trick will envelope the chicken and you’ll use less marinade for the same flavor).
- Refrigerate for 2-4 hours (naturally, the more the merrier, but 2 hours will give you great flavor).
- Grill chicken to internal temperature of 165° F (74° C). To avoid overcooking, simply grill to 160° F, remove from grill, cover with foil, and let rest for 5-10 minutes (let carryover cooking do the rest).
If you want to kick the flavor up a bit, take some fresh marinade (never use what the chicken sat in) and mop the chicken with it while grilling. The heat will caramelize the sugar, intensifying both the flavor and the heat.
Now, get to the patio!